Tuesday, 21 August 2012

Staking out the sweetcorn

After a couple of weeks of thinking about it, I finally got round to staking out the sweetcorn, some of which was starting to look a little wobbly.

None of the plants have fallen over, but a couple are leaning quite dramatically.

You can see in the background of this picture that some of the weeds had been overgrowing slightly too. I have inserted the stake ready for attaching too.

The sweetcorn plant is now much more stable, and is no longer impacting the smaller plant next to it

I am using little plastic hoops bought from Wilkinsons for a couple of pence each. These are also what I have used when staking my tomato plants.

All the plants are now staked, and I have pulled back the overgrowing seeds. There is still some work to be done clearing the little weeds around the base of the plants, but none of these are too big right now

The sweetcorn forest.

So, a practical post. If any of you are growing sweetcorn I'd be really happy to see pictures, and maybe post them on here, including any other hints you may have.


No comments:

Post a Comment