Friday 22 March 2013

Moving the Globe Artichoke seedling plus progress

I have managed to get through this busiest of busy weeks. It truly is tough to get time to care for too many plants when you are holding down a full time job, helping run a business at weekends and you also have interests and hobbies which come in during the week.

However, today I have taken off work and so I have been able to get some moving of seedlings done (which I wanted to do on Tuesday) and also get round each pot to check on progress. Frankly I have left it too late for some; the Foxglove, having looked so healthy, today I have noticed had dried out and while it's not all dead most of the seedlings are very wilted; a good watering and back on the propagator for a few days before I decide what to do with them, I think.

But I am getting ahead of myself. My first task was to take the Globe Artichoke seedling and move it out of the propagator; it had got so big that I had to take off the lid of the propagator as the seedling was being squashed down!

This is what it looks like now; there is a hole in one of the leaves but I don't think this is a problem. It also already has second growth starting.

I have picked out a large-ish pot to move it to as it does seem to be growing very fast indeed.

The pot is filled with pre-warmed compost taken from my stash next to the radiator. You can see the hole already dug ready for the seedling to be put into.

And here it is, happily set in it's new home and ready for me to decide which of my over-crowded windowsills it should be put on. hmmm...

So that is the extent of my useful progress this week. I have, as discussed earlier, also got to go round and check on progress for all the other plants so...

I have previously talked a bit about how the Crossley Specials are all looking very happy now but some of the seedlings still have evidence of wilting. This is a picture of one of the seedlings which is like that.

This Crossley Special, however, has no such problems and displays no evidence whatsoever of wilting. It is exciting to see the stalks starting to turn red.

I've not put a picture of the mint for a while because it always just looks like mint. I thought I would today though to show you just how quickly and well it is growing.

This is the Moneymaker Tomato seedling which I managed to throw on the floor a few weeks ago. As you can see it is not showing any signs of distress and even has second growth starting to appear.

The other Moneymaker Tomato is also looking healthy and happy in its self watering planter. Unfortunately I have no sign of any growth at all from the Gardeners Delight Tomatoes so they are obviously not really living up to their name just yet :/

The larger of the two Geranium seedlings is now really starting to look established. Is there anything better than planting a seed and seeing it come to life and grow so well? If there is, I don't know what it is!

The smaller of the Geraniums is also growing well and its leaves are starting to show the shape of a Geranium.

The shop bought Coriander and Chives are still inside after their near miss with the snow and a good thing it is as today it is howling a gale outside and snowing.

A detailed picture of one of the seed grown Coriander. I am so pleased with this each pot now contains a very healthy and happy plant. It may even be time to move the ones I am going to keep into larger containers and give away the others to deserving homes.

Back to chillis, these are the Ghost Chilli seedlings which are still in the propagator and are established now. I think I am going to leave them in there until they get too large, as they obviously appreciate the warmer soil.

The two Birdseye seedlings are still going, but as I am always told by my friend, these do not grow fast or large. It feels like all the growth you see happened over two days and then they have stopped for the last week or so. Strange.

Now coming to what feels like the less successful parts of my experimentation; these are the Parsnips which are, truth be told, not look too weak but still I am not totally confident of a good harvest from these eight plants :/

Even worse are the Carrots which all look sad and droopy. I am going to keep watering them, keep an eye on them, and cross my fingers that this year I get at least ONE Carrot to nibble on.

The Potatoes are still chitting, though since last night I have noticed that where the Rocket was putting out nice white looking shoots they now appear black? hmmm

Finally for this a tray of soil which, honest, contains the Begonia tubers. No signs of life yet but hey, they haven't been planted for that long.

So there you have it; a nice full  update of all the progress made. Currently not giving me any joy at all is (in no particular order) the Kerela, the Echinops Ruthenicus, the other Globe Artichoke seedling, the Gardeners Delight Tomatoes and the Oregano and Sage which I am completely sure is totally never going to grow at all.

Lastly for this update I have taken a picture of our dining room, which I like to call my Nursery. I have the heated propagator on the windowsill, Carrots, Parsnips and Potatoes on the chairs, Coriander, Chives, Geraniums and Tomatoes squeezed in on CD racks and in spaces on the windowsill. There is NOT much space at all!


Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment