Monday 15 April 2013

Globe Artichoke in detail, plus a full progress report

Life is, currently, getting in the way of me blogging as regularly as I want to.

Thankfully plants don't really need to be photographed every day to grow, nor do they need that much time out of your day (particularly when you're only growing the small amount which I am now.

I had a concept for this blog post; the Globe Artichoke plant is putting on a show at the moment with its large leaves opening and closing depending on the time of day. Unfortunately I have not been able to really capture the variety of leaf positions that I have been observing so you'll just have to take my word for it, and enjoy the two pictures that did come out of the fifteen or so I took.

 This is taken at night and you can see that the leaves are closed up...

... and this was taken the next morning and you can see that the plant is opened up and presenting more surface area to the light.

You managed to avoid an update with purely photographs of the Globe Artichoke but you are not going to avoid the rest of the pictures I have taken just now with some excellent progress for you. So here goes:

First of all this is a Bromeliad; a new flower we just bought from Tesco. It is tropical (so may not do that well up near Mankychester like I am) and you have to water it through the flower, and never directly onto the soil. I just love the bright colour and the contrast with the lovely rich green leaves. This will be a favourite I think.

The other recent purchase isn't quite as exciting but is tastier; this is a shop bought Parsley plant sat on the kitchen windowsill. I need to report this very soon I think.

Moving on to seedlings that are old friends by now, this is the Moneymaker Tomato which has been knocked onto the floor twice so far; as you can see it is very much alive and very much thriving.

The other Moneymaker Tomato is bigger and better established as it hasn't been on the floor at all.

I haven't taken pictures of the blank compost which is both my Gardeners Delight Tomato attempts; for some reason neither seed has germinated and pretty soon I'm going to re-purpose the planters for something else.

The Mint plant is getting back to being a bushy plant, after Sassy ate almost all of it the day she got onto the window sill.

The six Crossley Special Chillis on the front window sill are going great guns and putting more and more leaves out. Pretty soon I may have to consider staking these up as I am sure they will suddenly shoot upwards soon. Quite excited as per last year.

The two Ghost Chillis are looking very healthy indeed; while they aren't going upwards, they are developing a very strong looking set of leaves. They are still in the heated propagator as they are tiny and there is no point in moving them until they start to need more space.

By contrast the Birsdeye Chillis are still very small and haven't even really put out any second leaves; I'm hopeful that this one may have a little nub of a bud and this might indicate some fast development.

The Parsnip seedlings still inside (but maybe going out this weekend?) and showing some signs of sadness. There are also some impressive looking fungi growing which is probably perfect evidence of how much I over watered the poor things when they were in the toilet rolls.

The Carrots are in a similar state of unhappiness and have even bigger fungi. Much props to anyone who can identify the fungus.

The smaller Geranium seedling is now catching up with the first one to appear. I can't wait for this to flower.

Since I have started watering the Foxglove they have really started to thrive so there is a lesson learned; Foxglove does need to have more water than any of the other plants I am growing.

The seed Potatoes are still chitting and I really should get around to planting them soon; the weather does seem warmer now. Hopefully I've not left them too long.

The earlier photographs of the Globe Artichoke were taken at the end of last week, this was taken today; this plant is growing so fast and free. It is just outside the bedroom and I get to water it and appreciate it every morning.

My seed grown Coriander is now fully grown and probably ready for potting up into a bigger containers; this one is the most impressive looking but the rest are all growing fast and strong.

The Begonia tubers are all sprouting now (bar one) but this is the most developed of the four which are sending up growth. I am quite proud of this picture.

Of the other plants inside, there is still nothing from the Echinops Ruthenicus, the Kerela and the other Globe Artichoke which is obviously quite a disappointment but you don't win them all.

Outside the Lettuce is FINALLY starting to grow so maybe in the next month or so I can start eating it direct from the garden; I may start a few more Lettuce plants off in the next week or two, to see how they compare and also to ensure I have replacements.

The Broccoli is also putting on a burst now the weather has improved a bit; I have no idea what to expect from this plant so don't know if it is looking healthy or not.

Finally for this update this is the Onions which are now lagging behind badly. I really do hope these start to shoot up soon because I really love how my Onions last year tasted; they were SO much nicer than any I have ever bought.

So there you have it; a blog post finally and apologies for the slight slacking from myself.

I have some ideas for some other blog posts, including some more about my whisky and an idea I've had for drying chillis.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment